Monday, April 29, 2013

Sawadikap Thailand!


Underneath the modern metropolis’ glimmering surface, lies a city obsessed by its multicultural food, and willing to dirty its hands for a good meal. Thailand, I know, will be a good place for an adventurous foodie.
Thai food is internationally famous. The taste suits all palates and definitely suits mine lah. 

I took this chance to taste most of their famous dishes. So my first stop is Somtum Der, a very refreshing looking restaurant located on Soi Sala Daeng in Silom not far from Patpong.  The restaurant is really comfortable, air-conditioned setting (it’s a heaven if you are in this super heat country), and a very friendly service and serving a great authentic Thai foods that doesn't compromise on the original taste. What a great start!

I’ve ordered a local favourite salad called Som Tum, it’s basically a grated green papaya get dramatically pulverized in a pestle and mortar, blends with spicy and sour taste with all kinds of additional ingredients ranging such as salted egg, fermented crab, barbecued chicken and lots more. This flavour is not something that can easily be forgotten.

Another dish that I’ve tasted is Gaeng Keow Wan Kai (Green Chicken Curry). Served alongside with an option of fragrant Thai rice or bread, this curry is exceptional! Chicken cooked with humble elements of bamboo shoots, eggplants, fish sauce, coriander and sweet basil. That super-duper glorious green gravy is made of green curry paste that's stirred furiously into hot creamy coconut milk. Satisfied!



Well...well...well this is where the insane part of me started

Howdy, if you seek for gastronomic adventure, skip the tom yum, the green curry or whatever and head on to Khao San Road. I walked through this road; with my wide open eye and (gulp). They seemed to be selling what looked like assorted bizarre dishes. For eating…erm even my dark side soul says no (at first). Mate, if you are vegetarians, seriously you are not encouraged to read any further J

You can see in their carts, varieties of fried and seasoned insects such as grasshopper, maggots, crickets, black scorpion, water bug, ants and silkworm.


Wohoo..goose bumps! I saw one man tried a tarantula with hairs on! He said the abdomen part has a soft texture and is sweet. Gosh, save my soul! He said: 'you should try. A'aaa...I'll pass


Finally, I plugged up my courage to try the grasshopper. I chose the sautĂ©ed grasshoppers. It’s really crunchy and pops in your teeth. Meeeee must be crazy when later on I also tried the silkworm. They really aren't that bad thou, the taste are really similar to lobster brain.



I'll be back and with regained appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment