Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Perfect Weekend - Coconut & Lime Pudding


A late work night and freaking hot weather throughout the week and the worst part is feeling penurious towards any food.  We all know those days aren't we? Well, finally it’s a weekend and I've decided to be a couch potato. While watching TV, my tummy produce vibrations and the rumbling noise Yea…yea...yea...I know it’s associated with hunger and frustration. I need to reward myself for successfully passed another worst week uh!

The reward doesn't have to be big. It can be as small as a nice dinner, a slice of cake, a manicure, a cup of ice cream, or simply a trip to the movie theater  Well, since it’s searingly hot outside and I don’t want my skin toasted to level 5 so I've decided to make something nice in my own kitchen. I've not been reduced to the lowest of the foodie castes just yet so I made a glorious coconut and lime pudding. If you want to try it, here is the recipe.


Ingredients:

Puddings:

175g butter
175g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
175g self-raising flour
75g shredded coconut

Poached pears:

400ml cold water
175g palm sugar, grated
2 kaffir lime leaves, sliced finely
2 pears, peeled, cored, cut into wedges
1 tablespoon lime juice

Roasted fresh coconut, to decorate

Method:

Grease you mould, line bases with baking paper.

Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Whisk in extract then eggs one at a time. Fold in flour and coconut. Divide mixture evenly among prepared moulds. Place in a baking dish. Add enough boiling water to come half way up sides of mould. Cover with foil, leaving room for puddings to rise.

Cook for about 20 minutes or until puddings have risen and a skewer comes out clean once inserted. Cool for 3 minutes. Loosen edges with a small palette knife. Turn out of moulds and set aside to cool.  

Meanwhile, to make poached pears, stir water, sugar and lime leaves in a medium saucepan over low heat until sugar has dissolved. Add pears. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until pears are tender. Remove pears with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add lime juice to poaching liquid. Simmer until reduced by half to form syrup.

Serve puddings with pears and syrup. Decorate with roasted coconut.

I'm a happy couch potato!

No comments:

Post a Comment